Q I was recently given the project of developing both long and short term facility plans. I have already scheduled a meeting with the business units to have some key questions answered. Obviously, new trends have developed—and continue to do so. Could you suggest Web sites, resources, and other information that can help me understand these trends and anticipate questions from the business units?
TDK Semiconductor Corp.
A Regarding long and short term facility planning, the first recommendation I would make is a visit to the search engine of TFM’s Online archives. Several articles relating to planning are available through the Google search tool.
Here are some additional resources I would recommend:
- BOSTI Associates (the Buffalo Organization for Social and Technological Innovation) has a 30 year history of continuous innovation in workplace planning and design. Visit this link for details.
- International Facility Management Association (IFMA) Online Bookstore lists several publications that might be of interest.
- Haworth, Inc. maintains a Facility Resource Center that includes several articles and publications. Many are available to download for review.
- BOMI Institute is a valuable resource for all things FM related, BOMI Institute offers a course entitled “Facilities Planning and Project Management” as part of its Facilities Management Administrator (FMA) program. For more on the course, visit the Web.
- National School Boards Association (NSBA) has a brief online resource entitled Facility Planning Sequence.
- Cornell University makes available a publication entitled Facility Planning & Management Notes.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.